Postnatal Yoga + Women’s Yoga Workshop
Date: May 9-13, 2019 (4 days)
Location: Hangzhou, China
Postnatal Yoga + Yoga for Women - Exploring Yoga from the Female Perspective
Postnatal Yoga + Yoga for Women – Exploring Yoga from the Female Perspective
As a woman, yoga can be a powerful and remarkable tool for connecting with and understanding your body. Join Jennifer for an informative and illuminating workshop as she explores Postnatal Yoga and Yoga from the Female Perspective.
This course is open to yoga teachers and experienced practitioners*, who are interested in learning more about their bodies in relation to yoga, and for teachers who want to better support their postnatal students and female yoga practitioners.
In this comprehensive workshop, we explore a full range of expression that women yoga practitioners experience throughout various important stages of their lives.
We will explore how a woman’s body changes throughout her life and how we can support that change through her yoga practice. There will also be a focused discussion on the female pelvic floor, an area that is generally ignored in most yoga teaching but is very important for maintaining the integrity of the body as women age, and abdominal muscle separation, commonly seen in postpartum women.
This course will be a combination of lecture and practice, as well as a question and answer period each day. Students will receive an informational manual to support what they are learning in the workshop. Students will also receive a certificate of completion.
*This course is intended for Yoga Teachers, but experienced yoga practitioners are welcome to join with the understanding that there will not be time given to teach basic yoga techniques or philosophy.
Topics covered in this workshop are:
Postnatal Yoga – 60% of the workshop
- Physiology of the postnatal body and how to work with it in yoga
- Precautions and modifications for the postnatal woman
- Determining when it is safe for postpartum women to do abdominal work
- Integrating postnatal women into regular vinyasa classes
- Yoga modifications for women who’ve had a cesarean birth
- How to heal the stomach muscles after giving birth (even years after
- Information about healing and the differences between a vaginal birth and a Cesarean
Yoga for Preparing the Womb – approx. 10% of the workshop
- Increase blood flow to your reproductive areas
- Mind body focus and positive intention
- Yoga poses to manage stress and promote relaxation
- Lifestyle choices and their impact on the ability to get pregnant
- Sequence for preparing the womb
Yoga during Menstruation – approx. 10% of the workshop
- Adjusting yoga practice for women’s monthly cycles
- Poses to avoid during your cycle
- The phases of the menstrual cycle
- Understanding the uterus
- Emotional well-being during your cycle
- Enjoying your menstrual cycle
Yoga during Menopause – approx. 10% of the workshop
- Working with a woman’s body as she ages
- Understanding the stages of menopause and physiological changes
- Understanding the mental and emotional symptoms of menopause
- Sequence for menopause
- Beneficial poses and poses to avoid for hot flashes, anxiety, fatigue, mood, memory loss, or insomnia
Yoga for Women – approx. 10% of the workshop
- Modifying traditional alignment for women’s bodies
- Exploring the mind body connection in your yoga practice
- The Female Pelvic Floor
- Exploring positive sensations on your yoga mat
- The Psoas in yoga
- Working with your body and not against it
- Honoring your body’s process
- Celebrating and supporting women