Some of you only know me as a Prenatal Yoga instructor but I am also a birth doula and have been to over 400 births!
I know how important it is to feel comfortable with your doula and knowing the right questions to ask when interviewing your prospective doula is the key to finding a great match! Here are some basic questions any doula you interview should be able to answer easily, feel free to add your own questions pertaining to your particular situation as well. Congratulations on your pregnancy and have a great birth experience!
The following questions will help you decide if a particular doula is right for you
For any doula
- What training have you had?
- Do you have one or more backup doulas for times when you are not available? May we meet her/them?
- What is your fee, what does it include and what are your refund policies?
When interviewing a birth doula
- Tell me about your experience as a birth doula.
- What is your philosophy about birth and supporting women and their partners through labor?
- May we meet to discuss our birth plans and the role you will play in supporting me through birth?
- May we call you with questions or concerns before and after the birth?
- When do you try to join women in labor? Do you come to our home or meet us at the place of birth?
- Do you meet with us after the birth to review the labor and answer questions?
- How do you get along with the hospital staff and how important is it for you to have a good relationship with them?
- Do you have a list of references we may call?
- Do you have strong opinions about pain medication? Do you support women who want epidurals (even if you don’t want one, it’s good to ask)?
- Describe how you work with the partner or husband.
When interviewing a postpartum doula
- Tell me about your experience as a postpartum doula.
- What is your philosophy about parenting and supporting women and their families during postpartum?
- May we meet to discuss our postpartum needs and the role you will play in supporting us in the postpartum period?
- May we call you with postpartum questions or concerns before the birth?
- When do your services begin after birth?
- What is your experience in breastfeeding support?
- Have you had a criminal background check, a recent TB test and current CPR certification?
Did we miss anything? Add your own great questions in our comments section below.